When I say peas and pancetta are one of the easiest and most delicious side dishes, I mean it! It’s amazing how a few simple ingredients can come together in perfect harmony. The bright green color pops on any table and each bite of springy peas with salty pancetta is pure perfection!
Why you’ll love peas and pancetta
There’s a lot to love about these peas and pancetta! Here’s why:
- This side dish comes together in less than 15 minutes with ease.
- You’ll only need 6 ingredients, not including salt and pepper.
- You can omit the pancetta to make it vegetarian.
- Who doesn’t have a bag of frozen peas on hand, ready to get put to use!?
- The fresh mint adds a pop of freshness that livens this dish right up!
- If you can’t find pancetta, bacon makes an excellent substitute.
- You can make this a day ahead of time and simply reheat when ready to serve. Just wait to add the mint until just before serving.
- No fancy kitchen equipment needed!
Peas and Pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5 oz pancetta cut into 1/4" thick chunks
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz bag of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh mint leaves
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a shallow saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the pancetta and shallot and cook until the pancetta is crisp and the shallot is golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add frozen peas to the pan and stir gently. Only cook the peas until they are just hot, about 3-5 minutes, and then remove pan from the heat in order for them to retain their bright green color.
- Stir in the fresh mint and add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.