Romesco Sauce without Nuts
This romesco sauce without nuts is a rich and creamy vegan spin on a classic that swaps out nuts for sunflower seeds.
- 1 cup whole roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 whole lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine roasted red peppers, basil, whole garlic, sunflower seeds, tomato paste, lemon juice and zest, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and salt in food processor. Pulse until combined.
With the motor running, drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until well combined and smooth. You may need a little more of less depending on how *juicy* the red peppers are.
- This recipe is vegan, dairy-free and nut-free!
- I've found the best success with whole roasted peppers in a glass jar, not diced or in a can.
- If you don't have fresh basil on hand, parsley makes an excellent substitute.
- This pesto will keep in your fridge for 7 days.